The Melville Bowling Club started from a public meeting on March 11th 1957 with 80 attendees indicating they were potential bowlers.
Two greens were established by the Melville Road board, part of the Melville Local Government Authority as it was known then. This body also guaranteed the finance for the club building. Beach umbrellas were used as an improvised ‘club house’ during the construction of the club house. On January 21st 1958, the new club house was officially opened. This all happened in less than two years, an outstanding accomplishment.
It is appropriate to acknowledge the contribution made by the late Hon. John Tonkin, former WA premier, who was the initial Club Patron, holding that position for more than 25 years.
The next 25 years saw the Club grow from strength to strength and was recognised as one of the strongest bowling clubs in Western Australia. The Club continued to prosper with growing membership and many bowling successes.
Lawn bowls and social events are the main activities enjoyed by members, with various bowling events played almost daily. At the time of writing, membership exceeded five hundred and growing.